Business License Program 

Business License Process

The Menifee Municipal Code requires all businesses located and operating within the City to be properly licensed as well as in accordance with the standards for Planning (Zoning), Building & Safety and Public Health.

Prior to the issuance of a Business License, inspections by the Building Division may be required in addition to approvals by the Planning Division. Additional approvals may be required by other Departments depending on the type of business being conducted. Department approvals apply to all businesses physically located in Menifee City limits.

Businesses that are not physically located within the city limits may also be required to obtain a City of Menifee business license if they are conducting business within the city. For detailed information on the city's business tax, licenses, and regulations, please review the city's Municipal Code.

What is the cost of a business license?

The cost of a new business license is $65.00 plus $4.00 CASP and an additional $40.00 Zoning Fee for businesses located in Menifee. Renewals are $35.00 plus $4.00 CASP Fee. For new businesses filing for the first time after March 31st the City prorates based on the start date of the business (See fee schedule below for breakdown). For all existing business renewing as of March 1st of each year or later, a penalty of $35 will be added to your renewal pursuant to the City's penalty schedule.

How to Apply and Renew: 

Business License Application

The City of Menifee accepts walk in applications. You may download our In-City Home Based ApplicationIn-City Commercial ApplicationOut of City General application or our One-Day Business License application 
(applicable for out of city businesses only) and submit in person or by mail to 29714 Haun Road, Menifee, Ca 92586. 

If submitting by mail, all necessary documents and correct payment amount must be attached to avoid any delays in processing time.

Online Business License Application

The City of Menifee features an online business license application to help business owners with the process of applying and submitting a business license application. 

Business License Renewal

Business Licenses in the City of Menifee expire December 31st, regardless of application date. Renewals can be submitted online, in person, over the phone or by mail. 

* If you will no longer be conducting business in the City of Menifee, you may close your license by mailing back the annual renewal notice signed and dated with business closure date to : 29714 Haun Rd, Menifee, Ca 92586. 

Renewal- Closure Sample

Proration Schedule For New Business Applications Only

In City Business:

Total Due
January 1 - March 31
$65.00 + $4.00 CASP + $40.00 Zoning Fee
April 1 - June 30
$48.75 + $4.00 CASP + $40.00 Zoning Fee
July 1 - September 30
$32.50 + $4.00 CASP + $40.00 Zoning Fee
October 1 - December 31*
$51.25 + $8.00 CASP + $40.00 Zoning Fee
  *Covers 4th quarter & next calendar year

Out of City Business:

Total Due
January 1 - March 31
$65.00 + $4.00 CASP
April 1 - June 30
$48.75 + $4.00 CASP
July 1 - September 30
$32.50 + $4.00 CASP
October 1 - December 31*
$51.25 + $8.00 CASP
  *Covers 4th quarter & next calendar year
Renewal Fees (All Businesses):
Total Due
November 1 - December 31
$35.00 + $4.00 CASP                      
March 1 or later
$70.00 + $4.00 CASP

Special Event (Out of City Businesses ONLY)

License Type Fees                                        Total Due
One Day Special Event                       $5.00 + $4.00 CASP                            $9.00

CASP Fee (Certified Access Specialist Program)

On October 11, 2017, Governor Brown signed into law Assembly Bill (AB) 1379, which changes the State CASp fee starting January 1, 2018. This bill accomplishes the following:

  • Removes the sunset provision for the CASP fee, establishing it as a permanent fee.
  • Increases the fee to $4 for six years from January 1, 2018 through December 31, 2023. The fee then reverts back to $1 beginning January 1, 2024.
  • During the six-year period of the increased fee, the municipality will retain 90% of the fees collected, remitting 10% to the State. When the fee reverts back to $1, the municipality portion will also revert to 70%, with 30% remitted to the State.

Senate Bill 1186 (Chapter 383, 2012) requires a one-dollar additional fee to be paid by any applicant for local business license, permit or similar instrument when it is issued or renewed. The fee applies to applications and renewals filed between January 1, 2013 and December 31, 2018 and it is collected by the issuing jurisdiction (City, County, or City and County).

For additional CASP information visit the DSA website by clicking (
Division of the State Architect (DSA) Memo

Zoning Fee (Applies to all new In City Businesses effective July 1, 2015)

Effective July 1, 2015 all new in city businesses will be assessed a $27.00 Zoning Review Fee. Effective February 5, 2019 all new in city businesses will be assessed a $40.00 Zoning Review Fee. This applies to any business planning to operate at any location in Menifee (includes Sun City, Quail Valley & portions of Romoland). Also applies if a business relocates to a new location within city limits. Some business locations may have additional zoning requirements and may require a Conditional Use Permit (CUP), Plot Plan (PP) or Land Use Entitlements. For further details please contact the Planning Department at (951) 672-6777.

Obtain An Occupancy Permit (In City Commercial Businesses)

All businesses located in a commercial location must obtain a Certificate of Occupancy Permit issued by the Building and Safety Department before a business license can be approved. Occupancy Permits must be filed at City Hall during counter hours between 8:00 am and 4:00 pm Monday through Friday. 

Mobile Businesses

The home address of any business operating primarily from a vehicle will be utilized for registering a business license Pursuant to Business & Professions Code Section 17538.5. No P.O. Box locations are allowed to be used as a place of business. If the residence is located within Menifee City limits, all zoning and home based regulations are applicable.

Frequently Asked Questions

Please review a list of the most frequently asked questions in regards to the city's Business licenses including application fees visit the City of Menifee Business License FAQ page.

Additional Links

Fictitious Name Filing:
Forming a Corporation/LLC:
Internal Revenue Service EIN #:
Starting Non Profit:
Riverside County Health Department:
Alcohol Beverage Control:
Consumer Affairs: