Business License Program
The City of Menifee Municipal Code requires all businesses located and operating within the City to be properly licensed as well as in accordance with the standards for Planning (Zoning), Building & Safety and Public Health.
Prior to the issuance of a Business License, inspections by the Building Department may be required in addition to approvals by the Planning Department. Additional approvals may be required by other Departments depending on the type of business being conducted. Department approvals apply to all businesses physically located in Menifee City limits.
Businesses that are not physically located within the city limits may also be required to obtain a City of Menifee business license if they are conducting business within the city. For detailed information on the city's business license fees and regulations, please review the city's Municipal Code.
Business License Purpose
The purpose of Menifee's business license program is to provide necessary regulation and provide a registry system of businesses being conducted within the City of Menifee, in order to protect the public health, safety, and welfare of City residents and to ensure that each business is conducted in compliance with applicable federal, state and local laws, regulations and ordinances.
This program is not intended to impose any form of taxation on the business community nor to collect in fees more money than is necessary to recover the administrative costs of processing an application for the issuance or renewal of a business certificate.
The City of Menifee has created an Online Business License Application to help business owners streamline the process of applying for their business license.
Please allow 2-3 business days for application processing. Once application has been processed an email will be sent to the email on file with payment instructions and request of additional documents (if necessary).
*Home Occupation Businesses based in the City of Menifee will be required to submit a Home Occupation Packet in addition to the online Business License Application.
*Commercial Businesses based in the City of Menifee will be required to submit a Commercial Location Application Packet in addition to the online Business License Application.
*Sidewalk Vendors are NOT required to hold a business license with the City of Menifee, however, sidewalk vendors will be required to complete a Sidewalk Vendor Permit Application though our Community Development Department.
All City of Menifee Business Licenses expire December 31st, regardless of application date and must be renewed by February 28th to avoid late penalties. Renewals can be submitted online, in person, or by mail by visiting our Online Portal.
* If you will no longer be conducting business in the City of Menifee, you may close your license by mailing back the annual renewal notice signed and dated with business closure date to : 29844 Haun Rd, Menifee, Ca 92586.
Business License Applications
- Business License Application - In City Applicants
- Business License Application - Out of City Applicants
- One-Day Special Event Application
Change of Address Forms
Contact Business License Staff
- Office: 951-672-6777
- Email: email@example.com
A Business License Application for a new business may be printed and submitted to the Office of Finance located at 29844 Haun Rd, Menifee, Ca 92586. New business license applications that are being submitted must be originals; we do not accept applications submitted via email. All applications must be completed and submitted with the appropriate fees.
License holders are required to notify the Business License Division of any changes to their business that may affect their license. Some changes may have a small impact on the business license, while others may require additional fees, documentation or a new application.
Changes that may trigger a new application:
- Change of Owner
- Change of Business Activity(ies)
- Entity Change / EIN Change
Changes that may require additional forms & payment:
- Change of Physical/Mailing Address
- Name Change/DBA Change
Opening a New Business - General Guidelines:
Compliance with Federal, State and/or Local agencies will be required in order to obtain a Business License.
- Business Name/DBA: If a Fictitious Name will be used, a FBN must be filed through the Riverside County Assessor - County Clerk & Recorder's office.
- Ownership Type: If you are a business entity other than a Sole Proprietor, you must provide a Federal ID Number (EIN).
- Licensed State Contractors: If you operate a business that is license by a state agency, you must provide a copy of your State license.
- Sales: A Seller's Permit number will be required from anyone selling products. The sales of products from an In-City business will be required to provide a copy of their Seller's Permit at the time of application. You may apply at : http://www.cdtfa.ca.gov/
Certified Access Specialist Program - CASp
On October 11, 2017, Governor Brown signed into law Assembly Bill (AB) 1379, which changes the State CASp fee starting January 1, 2018. This bill accomplishes the following:
- Removes the sunset provision for the CASp fee, establishing it as a permanent fee.
- Increases the fee to $4 for six years from January 1, 2018 through December 31, 2023. The fee then reverts back to $1 beginning January 1, 2024.
- During the six-year period of the increased fee, the municipality will retain 90% of the fees collected, remitting 10% to the State. When the fee reverts back to $1, the municipality portion will also revert to 70%, with 30% remitted to the State.
Senate Bill 1186 (Chapter 383, 2012) requires a one-dollar additional fee to be paid by any applicant for local business license, permit or similar instrument when it is issued or renewed. The fee applies to applications and renewals filed between January 1, 2013 and December 31, 2018 and it is collected by the issuing jurisdiction (City, County, or City and County).
Obtain An Occupancy Permit (In City Commercial Businesses)
All businesses located in a commercial location must obtain a Certificate of Occupancy Permit issued by the Building and Safety Department before a business license can be approved. Occupancy Permits must be filed at City Hall during counter hours between 8:00 am and 4:00 pm Monday through Friday.
The home address of any business operating primarily from a vehicle will be utilized for registering a business license Pursuant to Business & Professions Code Section 17538.5. No P.O. Box locations are allowed to be used as a place of business. If the residence is located within Menifee City limits, all zoning and home based regulations are applicable.
- County of Riverside Fictitious Name Filing: https://www.asrclkrec.com/fictitious-business-names
- California Secretary of State Business Entity: https://www.sos.ca.gov/business-programs/business-entities/
- Internal Revenue Service EIN filing: https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/apply-for-an-employer-identification-number-ein-online
- Internal Revenue Service Charities and Non-Profits: https://www.irs.gov/charities-non-profits
- Riverside County Environmental Health Department: http://www.rivcoeh.org/
- California Alcoholic Beverage Control: http://www.abc.ca.gov/index.html