In anticipation of the next round of expected rain this week, the City of Menifee is reminding residents that it has set up three self-serve sandbag sites for residents and businesses. When properly placed, sandbags may redirect water and debris to flow away from your property, protecting your investments.
Self-serve sandbag stations are open in the following locations:
Residents and property owners should bring their own gloves and shovels and be prepared to fill up to 10 sandbags per resident, unless there is a bigger flooding issue, in which 50 sandbags per resident is allotted. Sandbags should only be filled halfway so that they are not too heavy to lift and can be stacked properly. It is the responsibility of the property owners to protect their private property prior to storm events. In addition to obtaining sandbags at these locations, sandbags may also be purchased at local hardware stores and/or building supply stores. Some building supply stores will deliver filled sandbags with advanced notice. Here’s a list of potentially life-saving tips for motorists and pedestrians during stormy weather and/or flooding:
• Avoid areas that are subject to sudden flooding.
• Do not cross flowing water on foot. Even six inches of flowing water can cause you to be swept away by strong currents.
• Turn around, don’t drown! Do not drive over a flooded road. Flowing water may hide large holes or areas of washed away roadways. Watch for “Road flooded ahead” and “Road closed ahead” signs and take an alternate route.
• If your car stalls, abandon it immediately and seek higher ground.
• Do not "sightsee" in flooded areas. Do not enter blocked off/closed areas. • Avoid unnecessary travel during times of heavy rain or flooding.
• Check the city’s website (www.cityofmenifee.us ) or Facebook page (www.facebook.com/cityofmenifeeus) for road closure status. Use radio station 1640 or 1610 AM for emergency broadcasting system. • Maintain an emergency kit and plan for any hazard that may impact you or your family.
• Residents are reminded that in cases of emergencies to please Dial 911.
• Check www.Rivcoready.org for additional preventative tips and information.
For additional information please contact Allen Yun, Public Works Manager, at email@example.com.