Risk Management

Our Responsibilities

City of Menifee's Risk Management Division works in identifying, assessing, and treating any liability to the City, to the extent possible, while preserving the City's physical and human assets.

  • Employee Safety
  • Workers' Compensation
  • Litigation Management
  • Risk Assessments

Filing a Claim

In the event an incident occurs, the affected person/group/business may file a claim with the City of Menifee. A claim form (PDF) must be submitted to the City Clerk’s Department within six (6) months of the date the incident occurred. If there is not enough space, please use additional paper and identify information by paragraph number.

Completed claim forms must be mailed or hand-delivered to: Claim Picture

City of Menifee

Attn: City Clerk's Office

29844 Haun Road

Menifee, CA 92586

California Tort Claims Act

Before you may sue a public entity, you must first file a claim meeting the requirements of the California Tort Claims Act (Government Code §§ 810-996.6). This law applies to public entities such as state, county, and local government agencies or departments, as well as to government employees.

With very few exceptions, you cannot sue the government for money damages unless you have filed a written claim within the legally specified time period.

Filing a claim gives the agency the opportunity to settle the claim before a lawsuit is filed and to investigate the claim so that is can properly defend itself, or to correct the conditions or practices that led to the claim.

When to File Your Claim

The California Tort Claims Act sets out strict guidelines for filing your claim with a governmental entity. You must file:

Within 6 months of the incident for:

  • Personal Injury
  • Damage to personal property
  • Wrongful death

Within 1 year of the incident for:

  • Breach of contract
  • Damage to real property
  • Equitable estoppel

If you do not file your claim within this time period, you may be barred from filing a lawsuit. In some cases, you may be able to ask permission to file a late claim. The only valid reasons for filing a late claim are:

  • Mistake, inadvertence, surprise, or excusable neglect. Not knowing the law does not constitute an excusable mistake.
  • The claimant's minority during the entire 6-month or 12-month period
  • Physical or mental incapacity of claimant
  • Death of claimant

Your request for permission to file a late claim must be filed within a reasonable time period, not more than one year from the date of injury. The "reasonableness" of the delay is determined on a case-by-case basis.

Special Event Insurance

The City of Menifee must ensure an Event Holder and vendors (if applicable) are insured and that the city is named an additional insured. Below are some examples of where to obtain insurance. Please note, the City of Menifee is not recommending or endorsing any of the organizations below. 

  • Personal Insurance Broker: Applicant may purchase insurance through their personal insurance broker.
  • Hub International: Applicant may obtain a quote and fill out an application. This program is 100% automated through HUB’s website, www.eventinsure.com .Please note, this program is set up to provide short term general liability insurance for the lowest risk exposures; small, every day family events such as birthdays, wedding, anniversaries, etc. There is a “additional insured section” in the portal where the following can be added, “The City of Menifee and its elected officials, officers, employees, agents, representatives, consultants, contract employees, and volunteers hereby added as the additional insures but only as respects work done by, for, or on behalf of the named insures.”

Other: For indoor facility rentals that have alcohol, a band or a special activity like Zumba or dance, the City will require insurance. The policy must be for one million dollars and additionally insure the City of Menifee. For groups for requesting a special event permit the insurance policy may be greater than one million dollars. Please review this sample policy.


For any questions regarding Special Event Insurance or how to file a claim, please contact our Risk Management Division at Vanessa Barrera at vbarrera@cityofmenifee.us